Today I became an outdoor furniture designer. A lot of the benches I see at parks and transit stations are terribly uncomfortable, don’t have a back, look hideous, are made of expensive material, or seat very few people. So I decided to solve all of those problems today.
Pardon the immitation 3D look, I’m not a 3D artist so I had to make this Photoshop manually.
- Seats visitors on both sides.
- Has a back.
- Might be cheaper to produce because it’s just poured concrete
- Doesn’t rust like metal benches.
- Is more durable than plastic or wooden benches.
- Must be anchored into the ground which is more expensive than bolting on metal benches.
- Might be more expensive to transport because of its heavy weight.
- Doesn’t dry quickly after a rain like a lot of metal benches do.
- Susceptible to graffiti.
- Susceptible to fungi, moss growth, and dirt accumulation.
Paint sealing the benches with concrete paint will solve the fungi and some of the dirt problem.
So what do you think?